Tuesday, March 22, 2011

STUNNING SHIPS & STOIC SACRIFICE...

 (Don't forget - If you comment on my blog this week you will be entered into a drawing to win a book!)

QUESTION OF THE DAY?
What is the role of a mentor in your story?
A. He should die poignantly so that his death propels the hero onto his journey.
B. He should sacrifice himself to the powers that be so the rest of the companions can move on?
C. He should find another job and move to Canada.
D. He should kill the hero and switch sides.

Which do you think my mentor did today?

TUESDAY, MARCH 22ND - 48K (8K since Sunday)

Researched: Egyptian and Roman Merchant ships, scabbards, map, maps, oh, and more maps, library at Alexandria (not in my book, but was distracted for a while), the port of Rutupiae (where the Romans landed and did their shipping in Britannia), reading livers, praying to Asklepios, and harbors.

The ship in the picture above is actually a form of my pirate ship... oops, I've said too much! Never mind. ~whistles~ I have come to the realization that writers are, after all, sadists. We torture our creations, make them suffer horribly, and then... torture them some more. And we smile all the way through, especially if the torture is particular gruesome. Sadists. 

Tomorrow, one of the first big reveals is going to happen... but not tonight.Been writing since 7:30 this AM and am ready for some mind foam... Ta~! :o)


Minnette Meador
World Weaver...
www.minnettemeador.com

6 comments:

  1. Nice picture. Not sure about reading livers. Yuk! In the interests of picking the unlikely, maybe your mentor moves to Canada, though I rather like D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priests in Roman times would read the livers of animals they sacrificed to find omens. Though, I'm not exactly sure what a piece of blood soaked meat could tell them. By the time this story takes place, that was pretty passe but hey, who knew? I like having him go to Canada... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beleive the answer is A

    I love the pirate ship photo, and look forward to hearing more about your new book !

    How do you keep from getting lost in the research ?

    kym

    krykym(at)fullchannel.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kym! Lots of practice on the research. I've written articles about it. You write "to the book," which mean you only look up/research what you need for the book. Believe me, I LOVE research, so it's hard sometimes. It's going to be a fun book... and a bit longer than the other two, I hope... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your mentor died poignantly, etc.

    Why? Beats me!

    Research is fun, itsn't it? Almost as fun as brainstorming!

    I like the interaction, visuals, and length of your blog. The personal content is nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sarah - We'll see on the mentor... it's a bit of a mystery.

    ReplyDelete

A new release out now from our own Jayna Da Silva, a very talented author.! Check it out... xoxo M;o) In California's Sierra Nevadas, wh...