Wednesday, July 16, 2008

When life is more interesting than fiction...

Being a fiction writer, most of the excitement in my life happens between my ears. Not so today.

I was sitting at my computer working on edits, when three cops appeared outside my window with shotguns. No kidding. Got my heart thumping, I can tell you. They had a dog with them who was obviously following a scent. They walked passed my window, across the street, and between two of the houses on the other side. You never know what you'll do in a situtation like this, so I surprised myself by locking the doors and closing the windows...86 degree in Beaverton today, so it wasn't very comfortable. But I'm glad I did. When I finished, I looked out of my picture window and saw a young man standing no more than five feet from me, hiding behind my house and staring at the receeding police. I had that heart thing again, only faster this time. I stood very still. If he had looked to his right just at that moment, he could have shook my hand. Yikes!

The young fellow then sprinted across my side street and disappeared between two houses, away from the cops.

Well, I didn't know what to do. I wanted to get the cops and tell him where he was. The kick ass heroine reared her auburn head and I found myself outside, heading toward the police. Fortunately, the spunky side kick smacked me soundly and a bout of common sense overwhelmed me. I turned on my heel and headed back into the house. Then I called 911.

I told the very nice lady on the phone what I had seen and then answered about a hundred questions about the guy, what he looked like, where exactly I was, etc. All the time, I'm watching out the window to see if the cops showed back up. By the time I got off the phone, it had been about three or four minutes. I assumed the guy was in Pittsburgh by this time.

A couple of minutes later, there are four cops with shotguns in their hands and the dog outside my window. I opened it and pointed to where I had seen the guy disappeared and they rushed across the steet. The next thing I know, they're shouting, "Down on the ground! Get your hands up! Don't move!" The guy was across the street hiding behind my neighbor's car.

They took him away and I spent the afternoon pacing through my house. If I ever doubted I was a real writer, I don't anymore. The first thing I did was let my author friends know what just happened for moral support, and then outlined my next project based on this event! Wow!

I'm exhausted and my sweet husband keeps calling me a hero...he also keep hugging me and making sure I'm ok. If this is how a hero feels, I'll have a lot more sympathy for her in my next novel!

16 comments:

  1. OMG! What an experience. I'm proud of you, my dear. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, either. Hide under the bed? LOL

    ~Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank, Phyllis...I don't think I'm going to get a wink of sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's crazy. Glad you're safe and you helped catch the bad guy. Reminds me of the time my ex drove my car 70 miles an hour trying to help the cops chase a bad guy. He got the guy cornered until the cop arrived. Then my ex lit a cigarette with a zippo lighter and the criminal tried saying my ex had a gun. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, Sindee - That's a great story! I'll bet he was terrified...I know I was! You should write that up...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you helped the cops, Minnette, but stayed safe! One of my neighbors discovered two teens peeking through her bathroom window. She called the sheriff but the line was busy. So after trying for several seconds, she went out with her husband's shotgun and held the teens until the sheriff arrived. Only she hadn't gotten hold of the sheriff. So finally she told them to hand over their driver's licenses and she'd release them and turn their licenses over to the sheriff. They did and skidaddled. She turned the licenses in to the sheriff and he asked what she wanted him to do with them? While she was in his office, the boys got caught speeding in another town north of us, had no licenses and said a woman made them give 'em up at the point of a shotgun...and the sheriff had them. LOL
    By the way, my grandfather was one of the first doctors in Beaverton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Minette! What an amazing tale.
    Definitely the makings of a novel there. I'm glad you're OK! Very gutsy of you, I agree. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story, Terry! You should write that one up. Thanks for the support...not sure if I'd do it again ~shiver~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Beth...Cool about your grandfather. Does any of your family still live here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheesh, Minnette!

    Glad the "sidekick" kicked you back inside the house and that you're safe! A new story idea is a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your story is a cliffhanger, Minette. Will you be able to find out why this guy was on the run? Your eager public wants to know.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That was quite an experience:)

    And that was great, Terry!

    Thanks for adding me, Minnette:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a similar experience in the past when, years ago, an international drug ring was caught next door to me in the town I used to live in. Same thing -- guns, cops running around the outside of my house, etc., etc.
    Your story certainly brings back memories, Minnette!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Minnette! My heart raced just reading it. That is movie material. Glad you're safe and helped to make the streets a little safer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Minnette! What an adventure. I'd have been shaking in my boots but like you, really curious and thinking...okay, remember the details of this. Where is my notebook! So glad you are okay and that the guy was apprehended. eek!

    maddie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, guys...I'm sure I wasn't in any danger really...it was just so damned exhilerating! Thanks so much for all the support...now back to work! ~whip~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Minnette! How crazy is that. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. It's also great to hear that you got inspiration for your next project! Good luck and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete

A new release out now from our own Jayna Da Silva, a very talented author.! Check it out... xoxo M;o) In California's Sierra Nevadas, wh...