Friday, March 4, 2011

Help Me Name My Heroine - Win Gladiator eBook

I'm into names in a big way; I look them up religiously and try to match the name to the character, although, I admit, the sound of the name is equally important. Not that anyone pays attention, mind you, but it's kind of one of those silent markers I use in my books. While working on Gladiator Prince, my newest historical about Roman Britannia, I had selected the name "Ninanna" for the heroine which I found as follows:

Inanna is the Sumerian goddess of sexual love, fertility, and warfare. Alternative Sumerian names include Innin, Ennin, Ninnin, Ninni, Ninanna...

The character is half Syrian/Sumerian and half Roman. In the course of writing the book, I realized two things: 1) The name is a definite stumbling block to readers since it's a bit of a tongue twister and sounds silly when you say it out loud, and 2) her mother was a very strong willed Roman and, whereas her husband names the boy, she would be allowed to name the girl, since girls in ancient Roman society were considered next to worthless. Therefore, I reason tentatively, she would have selected a Roman name for the girl. So, I NEED SOME HELP! 

I want to give her another name and I have narrowed it down to the following four, but will consider others:

Lavinia \l(a)-vi-nia\ as a girl's name is pronounced la-vee-NEE-ah. It is of Latin origin. The name of the legendary mother of the Roman people. Her name may possibly be derived from Lavinium, the name of an Etruscan city more ancient than Rome.

Phaedra - \pha(ed)-ra\ as a girl's name is pronounced FAY-drah. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Phaedra is "bright". Greek mythology: the daughter of King Minos, who was married to the hero Theseus and fell in love with her stepson Hippolytus. When he spurned her advances, she committed suicide.

Prisca - Feminine form of Priscus, a Roman family name which meant "ancient" in Latin.

Tatinia - Tatiana comes from a word which means, "Unsure. Perhaps from the Greek verb "tasso" (or "tatto") which means to arrange in order.." "Tatiana came from ancient Rome and means" appeaser, peacemaker". The other version that the name has an ancient Greek origin and means "founder". 

So, what do you think? She is a bit spoiled, strong willed, thinks she doesn't like changes and yet always makes them when necessary (not without complaining, however), she experiences huge growth in the course of the story, and will fight to the death to protect her younger brother.

Which one of those names do you think I should use? Do you have another suggestion? 

Those who pick the name I ultimately choose will get an ecopy of the book when it comes out... Thanks! Minnette :o)


Minnette Meador, World Weaver...
www.minnettemeador.com

THE GLADIATOR PRINCE
a historical romance
by Minnette Meador
Book III of the Centurion Series
RELEASE DATE: August 17, 2011
Resplendence Publishing

Prince Thane is the last surviving royalty of the Trinovantes Tribe in Roman Britannia, having surrendered to the Romans after the Boudicca Revolt to save his two daughters, whose identities he sacrifices his freedom to protect. He is condemned by Nero himself to become a gladiator, to fight until he dies in the arena. His popularity soars and he becomes famous as The Gladiator Prince by winning every match and the hearts of the world. When his two daughters are taken in a slaver's raid, Thane escapes, forcing the daughter of his master to take him to Rome to save his children. Little does he know that the beautiful Syrian woman holds not only the key to his passion, but a secret that triggers a disaster that ignites the world. Will this spoiled willful girl betray him in the end or sacrifice herself to save them all? Book III of the Centurion Series.

14 comments:

  1. Phaedra has a wonderful sound and is the name of a friends granddaughter. But the meaning "bright" and the weakness of committing suicide after being spurned, doesn't appeal. :D

    Tatinia: unsure, appeaser, peacemaker and founder - now those are good descriptions for a heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personnally, I like the first name, but would shorten it through the book to Nina. I'm always looking for the nickname or short-form in a name. For example, I look at Tatinia and see Tina. That's what I would call her the whole book if I read it because the other is too long to try and sound out and repeat in my head for 350 pages. But, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lynda... Actually, I found out the nickname is Nin, which I had used, but for some reason it sounded funny when my big strapping, stalwart gladiator used it, though it was ok when her brother called her that. But something to think about... Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi t, hereafter reading the other comments I changed my answer a few times because of saying Tatiana too much is, a mouthful as was the other and Prisca is not bad but most would think Prissy in the end.
    So my vote is Phaedra nice and easy to say and it sounds perfect no nickname really needed except maybe Phae or Phaed, but doubt he would shorten Phaedra it was a famous name.
    Elaine
    PS... Just because the original committed suicide doesn't mean this one will, besides a BRIGHT name I know well, my name is a light name as well, Elaine means bright, shining light. So I go for Phaedra and Bright :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh that was HI THERE, NOT HERE AFTER my phone did that for some reason sorry.
    But still going with Phaedra.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lainey... How have you been? Haven't talk to you in ages (or anyone else, come to think of it). Thanks for the imput... so, that 2 for Phaedra...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phaedra was the name that stuck out for me. It sounds strong for will to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's ...strong of will.. sheesh! Too much cleaning today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleaning? What's that? :O) Thanks, Paty... Man, it's looking like a landslide. M:o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Prisca because it doesn't carry the potentially weak connotations the others do. If her mother was strong, she would have given her daughter a strong name just to prove a point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all for participating... I'm going with Phaedra and because you guys were all so kind to give me input, you're all getting an eBook of Gladiator when it comes out. Send me a message on FB with your email address and I'll get those out as soon as the book is finish/released (probably around August). I really appreciate all the help! M:o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually I like your first name choice, but might shorten it to Ninna (though that may seem too close to ninny :) ) Another option is Nona, which is one of the Roman goddeses of Fate. Nona to the Roman's is the same as Clotho (Spinner of thread of life)to the Greeks.

    Auditory research shows that names with hard sounds like K and C show strength. So, going with that I'm wondering about names like Scyla (or Sky/Scy) though it does mean puppy which may not be fitting.

    Another alternative is the feminine for life Vita.

    Though I personally like the name Phaedra, I do want to remind you that in mythology Phaedra caused the death of her step-son, Hipolytus.

    Gosh, I've probably made it worse now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved learning so much about these names!

    ReplyDelete